Company Info - Fast Facts
Legal Name: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas, Inc.
Common Name: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
(Please note: “BCBSKS” or “Blue Cross” are acceptable on second reference)
Mission Statement: Being the insurer Kansans trust with their health
Company Headquarters: 1133 SW Topeka Boulevard, Topeka, KS 66629-0001
BCBSKS also has offices in Dodge City, Garden City, Hays, Hutchinson, Independence, Lawrence, Manhattan, Salina, Pittsburg and Wichita.
Corporate Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/BCBSKS
Classification: Mutual insurance company
Service Area: All Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte (103 of 105 counties)
Year Founded and Other Key Dates:
- 1941: The Kansas Legislature passes enabling legislation for a “hospital service corporation.”
- 1942: The Kansas Hospital Service Association (later Blue Cross of Kansas) is incorporated.
- 1945: The Kansas Legislature passes enabling legislation for a “medical service corporation,”and the Kansas Physicians Service (later Blue Shield of Kansas) is incorporated.
- 1983: Blue Cross of Kansas and Blue Shield of Kansas consolidate into one corporation.
- 1992: The Kansas Legislature officially classifies BCBSKS as a mutual insurance company.
National Affiliation: BCBSKS is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Each of the 37 Blue Plans is separate and independent. However, the Blue Plans cooperate with each other on many inter-Plan services for customers and other projects.
Regulatory Supervision: All premiums and insured benefit programs must be filed with the Kansas Insurance Department. KID has the power to disapprove premiums and regulate reserve levels.
Governance Structure: BCBSKS is governed by a 16-member board of directors; 15 are non-employees. They represent individual and group policyholders. A few of the board members are policyholders who also are health care providers.
Chair of the Board: Steve W. Sloan, Pittsburg
President and Chief Executive Officer: Andrew C. Corbin, Topeka
Number of Employees (as of Nov. 1, 2014): 1,479
(1,374 in Topeka, 105 outside of Topeka)
Provider Networks: For 2014, 97 percent of all providers in the BCBSKS service area, including 99 percent of all medical doctors and 100 percent of all medical facilities.
People Served (as of Oct. 31, 2014):
Enrolled through a group*: 732,232
Enrolled as individuals**: 162,973
* Includes 225,137 Kansans hosted through BlueCard®
** Includes 106,932 Medicare supplemental members
2013 Health Claims:
Key Financial Data (as of Dec. 31, 2013)
Total Assets: $1,694,459,356
Total Liabilities: $685,752,309
Policyholders’ Reserves: $1,008,707,047
Total Taxes Paid:* $63,566,200
* Includes payroll, federal and state income, personal property, real estate and premium taxes.
Subsidiaries and Business Units:
- Advance Insurance Company of Kansas (AICK) is the company's subsidiary that sells life and disability plans in the BCBSKS service area. (www.advanceinsurance.com)
- The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation was incorporated in 2005 and seeks to fund programs and activities that are, at their core, health-related.
- BlueCross BlueShield Kansas Solutions was incorporated in 2013 to give the company greater flexibility in designing benefit plans to meet the needs of the changing marketplace.
- Administrative Services of Kansas (ASK) is the company's business unit which supports the company's electronic transaction network. EDI Midwest (1995) is ASK’s electronic claims clearinghouse used by more than 1,200 insurance carriers. (www.ask-edi.com)
Ratings, Accreditations and Awards – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
- A.M. Best: A or “excellent”
(Rating earned separately by BCBSKS and AICK)
- URAC Accredited – Health Plan (commercial)
- URAC Provisional – Health Plan (exchange)
- URAC Accredited – Disease Management
- URAC Accredited – Case Management
- URAC Accredited – Health Utilization Management
- World Class Certified Call Center from the Service Quality Measurement Group (SQM), 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Highest Customer Satisfaction for the Health Care Industry Award from the Service Quality Measurement Group (SQM) 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Association: BlueCard® Provider Satisfaction Award for Highest System-wide Provider Satisfaction, 2011, 2012; Brand Excellence Award for Provider Satisfaction, 2007-2010; Brand Excellence Award for Member Retention, 2010
- Partnership Award, Kansas State Travel and Tourism, 2011
- World Class in Customer Satisfaction Award from the Service Quality Measurement Group (SQM), 2007, 2008
- United Way of the Plains (Wichita), Bronze Award, 2012, 2013
- United Way of Greater Topeka, Bronze Award, 2011
- Salina Area United Way, Silver Corporate Leader, Outstanding Citizenship, Bronze Award, 2011
- American Heart Association Community Fitness Innovation and Start! Fit-Friendly Company, Platinum Level, 2012, 2014
- American Heart Association Community Fitness Innovation and Start! Fit-Friendly Company, Gold Level, 2010, 2011, 2013
- Northeast Kansas Business Ethics Award, Northeast Kansas Chapter of the Society of Financial Professionals, 2008
Awards – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation
- President’s Award, Kansas Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (KAHPERD), 2011
- Outstanding Foundation, Association of Fundraising Professionals – Topeka Chapter on Philantrophy, 2011
- Back -