What is COPD?
COPD is a group of lung diseases that most usually
includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both.
- Chronic bronchitis: the swelling of the
main airways in the lungs. The airways also
produce more mucus than normal.
- Emphysema: damage to the air sacs in
the lungs. Damaged air sacs cannot be
COPD is a lung disease that causes problems with
your breathing. These breathing problems occur
when your lungs have trouble bringing in healthy new
air or pushing “used” air out.
- Chronic – persistent, doesn’t go away
- Obstructive – partly blocks the flow of air
from the lungs
- Pulmonary – pertains to the lungs
- Disease – a sickness
Print a PDF version of this brochure: