ICD-10 Articles: Coding Corner
Chapter 15 – Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Puerperium
ICD-10 diagnosis codes (000-09A) for Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Puerperium are located in chapter 15 of the ICD-10-CM official draft code set. Some coding conventions and guidelines from this chapter are as follows:
- Codes from chapter 15 have sequencing priority over codes from other chapters.
- Chapter 15 codes are for use only on maternal records, never on newborn records.
- Many codes in this chapter have a final character indicating trimester of pregnancy.
- When a patient is admitted to a hospital for complications of pregnancy during one trimester and remains in the hospital into a subsequent trimester, the trimester character for the antepartum complication code should be assigned on the basis of the trimester when the complication developed, not the trimester of the discharge.
- The code for "unspecified trimester" should rarely be used.
- The 7th character for fetus identification should be used when applicable to identify which fetus the complication code relates to.
- An outcome of delivery code from category Z37 should be included on every maternal record when a delivery has occurred.
- A note at the beginning of Chapter 15 instructs to use an additional code from category Z3A, Weeks of gestation, to identify the specific week of the pregnancy.
- Code O80 – "Encounter for full-term uncomplicated delivery", is for use as a single diagnosis code and is not to be used with any other code from chapter 15. Z37.0 – "Single live birth", is the only outcome of delivery code appropriate for use with O80.
Reference: ICD-10-CM; The Complete Official Draft Code Set 2014
(See this reference for more ICD-10 information)