March 29, 2012
New ICD-10-CM Tool is Available
The official implementation date is currently planned for services rendered on or after October 1, 2013. CMS recently announced they will likely extend the timeline. ICD-10 will be implemented in the future and whether there is a delay or not, the healthcare community should continue to move forward and find tools that will help them make the transition smoother.
Last year, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (BCBSKS) introduced the ICD-10 mapping tool (available in the secured section of our Web site at www.bcbsks.com) which provides lookup capabilities based on ICD-9-CM codes or a narrative. This year we are adding provider reports to our tool chest. Provider reports utilize the mapping tool and reflect the most common ICD-9-CM codes submitted by your office. Each report lists codes in order of highest to lowest utilization within a designated timeframe. Each ICD-9-CM code then lists the “general equivalent” ICD-10-CM code(s) for mapping. The report can be requested at the billing or performing level depending on the provider’s practice. As a contracting provider, you may request a copy of your report by contacting your professional relations representative or by sending an email to Prof.Relations@bcbsks.com.
Please include the following information in your request:
- Name of the group or individual provider(s);
- Tax ID number or Social Security number applicable to your request;
- Appropriate NPI (an organizational NPI or an individual NPI);
- Timeframe requested (up to 12 months) AND the number of ICD-9-CM codes you want reflected on the report (up to 50).
- Indicate whether you want the information returned to you via email .PDF file, fax or mail. Please include your name and address. If no address is indicated in the request, the report will be mailed to the correspondence address currently on file in our records.
Please allow up to 5 business days for a response to your request.