What is Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Case Management?
- A cooperative program that assists our members and their health care providers with complex medical issues.
- A way to assist our members with serious, long-term or high-cost medical conditions to help preserve their available health care benefits.
- A way to identify situations that involve unusual use of services and assist in evaluating alternative choices.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Case Management Program provides coordinated services to meet the member’s needs in a cost efficient manner. The needs and resources of the member and family are used to determine the most appropriate balance of care.
A case manager, who is a registered nurse, works with the doctor and other members of the treatment team to develop a care plan. The case manager may also share information regarding community resources and alternative sources of funding that could be explored.
Participation in case management is voluntary and does not alter the benefits normally offered by the member’s health care plan. This service may be terminated at any time.
Situations that may benefit from the case management program:
- High-risk pregnancies
- Premature/high-risk infants
- Progressive neuromuscular deterioration diseases
- Complex wound management
- Head injuries and strokes
- End of life care
- Severe burns
- Spinal cord injuries
- Multiple trauma
- Ventilator dependency
For more information, please call 1-800-432-0216 ext. 6628.
FEP® members should call 1-800-432-0216 ext. 6611.