BCBSKS Foundation - Healthy Habits for Life
Healthy Habits for Life is a major grant-giving program of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation. It is offered to help schools address a current major health issue in Kansas and the nation: childhood obesity.
The Healthy Habits for Life program is offering a total of $150,000 in grants to assist schools in promoting healthy lifestyle choices to their K-12 students. School nurses, physical education teachers, principals, health or family and consumer science teachers, or other administrators are encouraged to apply for funding that they may use during 2015.
The Foundation recognizes that schools have a unique opportunity to teach students about healthy habits through curriculum and programs that reach them where they spend so much of their time: school. As a young, captive audience, students can be more easily influenced to develop life-long healthy habits and behaviors. The Foundation hopes that curbing childhood obesity now will translate into healthy adults later, saving health care dollars for all Kansans.
The Foundation is seeking programs that will help Kansas youth:
- Reduce their cardiovascular risk,
- Increase their physical activity, or
- Learn healthy eating habits
About the Program
- A total of $150,000 is being offered in the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation service area, which includes all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte.
- The maximum grant amount is $1,000 and grants are limited to one per school. Funds cannot be used for salary or wages of any staff or employee; all funds must directly benefit the needs of the program.
- The funds will be distributed by Dec. 12 and can be used for programs administered during the 2015 calendar year.
- Past grant recipients are eligible to apply again but must adequately explain how an additional grant would allow them to either expand their existing program or create a new one.