Dental Insurance for Individuals and Families
If you did not enroll in this optional program at the time you enrolled in a health program or if you do not have BCBSKS health coverage at this time, you may apply for dental coverage as a separate benefit during specific open enrollment dates.
- During 2015:
- Individuals under age 65 may enroll during January, February, July and August.
- Those over age 65 may enroll during March, April, September and October.
|Individual 64 years and younger||•||$31.76||Apply Now|
|Individual + Children||•||•||$71.68|
|Individual + Spouse||•||•||$77.82|
|Individual + Spouse + Children||•||•||•||$112.61|
|Individual 65 years and older||•||$39.97||Apply Now|
BlueCare DentalPlus Benefit Details and Exclusions
- $1,500 annual maximum for each member
- 12 month waiting period on major services
- $50 annual deductible for each member (combined deductible applies to Primary and Major services)
- 100% for preventive services (Accumulates to annual maximum)
- Major services with 50/50 coinsurance (Accumulates to annual maximum)
- Primary services with 80/20 coinsurance (Accumulates to annual maximum)
- $200 annual maximum for whitening services and supplies provided by dentist (100% accumulates to annual maximum)
These Preventive Services are covered at 100 percent of the allowable charge (accumulates to annual $1,500 maximum for each member):
- Oral examinations (two per year)
- Prophylaxis, including cleaning, scaling and polishing (two per year)
- Dental x-rays required to treat or diagnose diseases or abnormalities of the teeth, surrounding tissue and cavity detection (includes two bitewings per year, and one full-mouth during a five-year period)
These Primary Services benefits are covered at 80 percent of the allowable charge, following a $50 annual deductible (combined deductible applies to Primary and Major services), to an annual maximum benefit payment of $1,500 for each member, each calendar year:
- Simple extractions
- Fillings (except gold)
- Root canal treatment
- Periodontic treatment of the gums, consisting of examination, management and surgery
- Extraction of impacted teeth
- Repair of dentures
- General anesthesia when the dental treatment is a covered service
- Emergency treatment to temporarily relieve acute dental pain (subject to limitations)
- Non-surgical care of acute oral infection and oral lesions
These Major Services benefits are covered at 50 percent of the allowable charge, following a $50 annual deductible (combined deductible applies to Primary and Major services), to an annual maximum benefit payment of $1,500 for each member, each calendar year:
- Oral/Periodontal Surgery (Other than Periodontal surgery of the gums)
- Dental Implants
Dental plan services NOT covered:
- Any dental service not listed as a covered service in this program
- Patient education services, hospital calls and/or consultations
- Laboratory and pathological examinations
- Bone grafts for alveolar ridge augmentation
- Dental services primarily for cosmetic purposes, except for an accidental injury
- All Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome related services, occlusal adjustments
- Temporary or provisional dental services and procedures
- Orthodontic services
Refer to the policy for a more complete list of exclusions and limitations. With this optional dental program, you will need to use a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas contracting dentist to receive maximum benefits.
We're here for you
- Phone: Learn more about the individual dental plans by calling 291-4306 in Topeka or toll-free at 1-800-641-1019.
- Email: If you have any questions or would like information on this program, contact us at IndSales@bcbsks.com.