Benefits of Membership
In addition to the peace of mind that comes from having a quality health insurance plan, customers of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas receive a number of additional benefits as part of their coverage.
- A total of 98 percent of the hospitals and medical doctors in our company service area contract with BCBSKS. (Our service area is all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte).
- Contracting providers agree to accept our reimbursement allowances for eligible services as payment-in-full. This means contracting providers will not charge you for any difference between their charge and our allowance (subject to any contract provisions such as deductibles or coinsurance responsibilities). In addition to helping hold down premium costs, you save out-of-pocket costs as a result of these discounts and write-offs agreed to by contracting providers. BCBSKS members save more money, because they will not be billed for more than we allow.
- Claims are automatically filed for customers using a contracting provider.
- Claims are processed quickly - usually within 4 to 5 days.
- The BCBSKS identification card is recognized wherever you go, giving you easy access to health care services, including our national BlueCard program.
- BCBSKS offers a variety of health programs along with deductible and coinsurance/copay options, providing greater value for your health care dollars.
- Customers receive a detailed explanation of benefits paid. This Summary of Claims Processed statement shows how much was paid for a specific service, any provider write-offs and any financial responsibility the customer might have. This information also is available through BlueAccess® member portal.
- Our financial position is solid. We have received an "excellent" (A) rating from A.M. Best. Financial soundness, enrollment and overall earnings are considered in this rating.