What is COPD?
COPD is a group of lung diseases that most usually includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both.
- Chronic bronchitis: the swelling of the main airways in the lungs. The airways also produce more mucus than normal.
- Emphysema: damage to the air sacs in the lungs. Damaged air sacs cannot be repaired.
COPD is a lung disease that causes problems with your breathing. These breathing problems occur when your lungs have trouble bringing in healthy new air or pushing “used” air out.
- Chronic – persistent, doesn’t go away
- Obstructive – partly blocks the flow of air from the lungs
- Pulmonary – pertains to the lungs
- Disease – a sickness
- COPD facts
- What causes COPD
- Symptoms of COPD
- How to manage COPD
- Important COPD reminders
- COPD medications