Heart Care - Diet
It is important that you follow a healthy nutrition plan. Healthy food habits can help you avoid three major factors for heart attack – high cholesterol, high blood pressure and excess weight. Some guidelines to follow include:
- Eat plenty of foods that are high in fiber, such as whole-grain breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables and beans.
- Eat no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium per day (about 1 teaspoon of salt).
- Limit foods high in saturated fats such as butter, cream, cheese, bacon, ice cream and sweet baked goods. Choose fat-free or low fat milk products, fish, poultry and lean meats. Choose fats low in saturated fat such as canola oil or olive oil.
- Limit your intake of foods high in calories but low in nutritional value, such as soft drinks and candy.
- Limit yourself to no more than one alcoholic drink per day if you are a woman or no more than two if you are a man.
Next topic: Cholesterol and Heart Disease