Privacy of financial information is of concern to all of us, and in response to these concerns, the federal government has required states to adopt laws that require insurance companies to explain their privacy practices. Our privacy practices for ‘non-public personal financial information’ are set out below. We want to assure you that we take your privacy concerns seriously, and join with your lawmakers in believing this disclosure of such practices is an important idea.
Our Privacy Practices regarding financial information
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas, and/or Advance Insurance Company ("affiliates") have the following practices regarding nonpublic personally identifiable financial information with respect to our customers.
The nonpublic personal financial information we collect consists of information you provide in applications or enrollment forms (such as name, address, social security number, telephone number), or changes in that information you submit to us, and whether you hold other health coverage.
We collect such information from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you on applications or other forms;
- Information about your transactions with us and our affiliates;
- Information we receive from others, if you hold duplicate coverage subject to coordination with coverages we issue or administer.
We do not disclose such information about our customers or former customers to anyone, except:
- We disclose such information as permitted by law. Examples of disclosures we make which are permitted by law include disclosures of the fact of enrollment (a type of personally identifiable financial information) collected by one affiliate to the other, disclosures to persons providing services to us necessary to adjudicate claims, and disclosures to health care providers allowing such providers to determine your eligibility for coverage.
- We may disclose your name, address and telephone number, which we receive from you on your applications or other forms to companies that perform customer satisfaction or other surveys on our behalf. Such companies have agreed not to redisclose such information to others.
We restrict access to nonpublic personal financial information about you to those employees who need to know that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to guard your personal financial information.