BCBSKS Advanced Payments for Contracting Providers
Healthcare providers, whether on the front lines fighting COVID-19 or only able to see patients on a limited basis, we know that the pandemic is creating financial difficulties for many of you. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (BCBSKS) has established a $35 million Advanced Payment Program to offer relief to contracting providers in our service area.
The Advanced Payment Program is a cash-flow relief option for contracting providers in our service area that have experienced a significant loss in net revenue from BCBSKS and meet the following requirements:
- In good contract standing and have submitted claims within 180 days before the date of request
- Not in bankruptcy
- No outstanding delinquent overpayments
- Have a net BCBSKS revenue decline of at least 30 percent in the past 30 days.
- Not a medical equipment provider/supplier; they are not eligible
Providers will be able to apply for an advanced payment which will be distributed in May and June 2020. The advanced payment will be tied to a provider's billing NPI number and calculated at 15 percent of the average monthly payment for calendar year 2019. Providers are required to repay the advanced payment. Repayment will begin November 2020 and go through February 2021. BCBSKS will deduct 16 equal, weekly amounts from the provider's bank account on file with BCBSKS via Automated Clearing House (ACH). Interest will not be applied to the repayment.
Applications are available – May 4, 2020
Deadline to apply – May 8, 2020
To submit a request beginning May 4, interested providers are asked to login through Availity and open BlueAccess. The link to the application will be found on the welcome page. Providers must complete and submit the application by May 8, meet a set of criteria, and sign an agreement for repayment on or before May 13. Providers who apply and are approved for the May payment will automatically receive a second payment in June.
Providers are under no obligation to request an advanced payment. BCBSKS has determined a maximum allocation for advance payments. If the allocated funds for this initiative are exceeded, then funding requested may not be fulfilled.
BCBSKS will review the application request. If the provider is deemed eligible, BCBSKS will email a repayment agreement which will include the dollar amount being advanced. Prompt return of the signed repayment agreement is essential to ensure payment is deposited via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to the provider's bank account. A copy of the countersigned repayment agreement will be emailed back to the requesting provider to confirm the agreement between BCBSKS and the provider.
- Application available online: May 4
- Application deadline: May 8
- BCBSKS review; agreement to provider for signature and return agreement: May 4-13
- Provider sign and return the repayment agreement: On or before May 13
- Payment direct deposited: May 18 & June 15
Information needed to complete the request for advanced payment:
- Provider Name Provider Tax ID
- Billing NPI
- Requestor Full Name
- Phone number
- Have you billed BCBSKS within the past 180 days?
- Are you in bankruptcy, or at risk for closing?
- Do you currently have any outstanding, or delinquent payments due to BCBSKS?
- Has your net revenue from BCBSKS declined by at least 30 percent during the past 30 days?
- Average net revenue from BCBSKS for January and February of 2020. Exclude cost share amounts.
- Net revenue from BCBSKS for most recent 30 days.
- Expected additional net revenue from BCBSKS to be billed, or billed, but not paid.
- Total Net Revenue from BCBSKS for most recent 30 days.
- Net Revenue from BCBSKS Percentage Change – the application will calculate the percent of revenue change.
- Accuracy Attestation Statement: Provider will be asked to check the box attesting to the following statement:
The requestor named in this request for advance payment from BCBSKS, upon submission, is attesting that the data provided is accurate and true and the requestor has complete authority to act on behalf of the company identified by the tax identification and billing NPI supplied in this request.
For more information or assistance with the request for advanced payment or repayment, email [email protected] or contact your provider consultant or professional relations representative.