Pathways to a Healthy Kansas is the largest community grant program ever funded by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas. The Pathways program provides community coalitions with the tools and resources needed to remove barriers and engage their communities in ways that enable healthy eating and tobacco-free, active living to become a way of life.
Blue Cross works closely with funded communities to inspire long-lasting, community-wide well-being, focus on strategies that build community engagement and transform the way residents stay healthy as they work, play and interact socially, and incorporate more opportunities to be healthy in daily routines so that a healthy culture is cultivated now and for generations to come.
The grant funding for each community includes a coordination grant of $100,000, with the opportunity to apply for non-competitive implementation and achievements grants amounting to $400,000, for a total of $500,000 per community.
In addition to the grant dollars, Blue Cross provides the communities with technical assistance for planning, evaluation, communications and measurement through partnerships with Wichita State University's Community Engagement Institute, Kansas Health Institute, and other organizations. Also, elementary schools in each community have free access to GoNoodle Plus for the duration of the funding period. GoNoodle is a website with interactive games and videos that get children moving throughout the day. The activities are designed to help children channel their physical and emotional energy for good, improving behavior, focus and achievement.
Pathways to a Healthy Kansas funded communities, 2017-2020
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas is proud to partner with the following communities and coalitions for the 2017-2020 funding period:
- Chanute (Energize Chanute!/Chanute Recreation Commission)
- Cowley County (RISE Cowley)
- Dickinson County (Quality of Life Coalition)
- Geary County (Live Well Geary County)
- Harvey County (Healthy Harvey Coalition)
- Lyon County (Healthier Lyon County)
- Seward County (Liberal Area Coalition for Families)
- Northwest Collaborative (Atwood, Bird City, Colby and St. Francis)
Pathways to a Healthy Kansas funded communities, 2016-2019
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas is proud to partner with the following communities and coalitions for the 2016-2019 funding period:
- Atchison County (Live Well Live Atchison)
- Bourbon County (Healthy Bourbon County Action Team)
- Crawford County (Live Well Crawford County)
- Franklin County
- Hoisington & northern Barton County (Health for Life)
- Kearny County Wellness Committee
- Reno County (HEAL Reno County)
- Wichita County (A.I.M. Coalition)
Current coalitions members can go to the Community Toolbox to sign in and access guidance documents and more.
To receive funding, the communities went through a thorough and competitive application process that included an on-site visit.