Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas, Inc.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
(Please note: “BCBSKS” or “Blue Cross” are acceptable on second reference)
Being the insurer Kansans trust with their health
1133 SW Topeka Blvd.
Topeka, KS 66629-0001
BCBSKS also has offices in Dodge City, Garden City, Hays, Hutchinson, Independence, Lawrence, Manhattan, Salina, Pittsburg and Wichita.
Mutual insurance company
All Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte (103 of 105 counties)
Year founded and other key dates
- 1941: The Kansas Legislature passes enabling legislation for a “hospital service corporation.”
- 1942: The Kansas Hospital Service Association (later Blue Cross of Kansas) is incorporated.
- 1945: The Kansas Legislature passes enabling legislation for a “medical service corporation,”and the Kansas Physicians Service (later Blue Shield of Kansas) is incorporated.
- 1983: Blue Cross of Kansas and Blue Shield of Kansas consolidate into one corporation.
- 1992: The Kansas Legislature officially classifies BCBSKS as a mutual insurance company.
BCBSKS is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Each of the 35 Blue Plans is separate and independent. However, the Blue Plans cooperate with each other on many inter-Plan services for customers and other projects.
All premiums and insured benefit programs must be filed with the Kansas Insurance Department. KID has the power to disapprove premiums and regulate reserve levels.
BCBSKS is governed by a 16-member board of directors; 15 are non-employees. They represent individual and group policyholders. A few of the board members are policyholders who also are health care providers.
Chair of the Board
Leonard R. Hernandez, New Strawn
President and Chief Executive Officer
Matt All, Lawrence
Number of employees (as of Dec. 31, 2021)
(1,458 in Topeka, 154 outside of Topeka)
For 2021, 96 percent of all providers in the BCBSKS service area, including 99 percent of all medical doctors and 99 percent of all acute care facilities.
People served (as of Dec. 31, 2021)
2021 health claims
BCBSKS, Solutions, AICK, ASO: $3,070,063,943
Key financial data (as of Dec. 31, 2021)
Total assets: $2,437,436,800
Total liabilities: $1,084,303,331
Policyholders’ reserves: $1,353,133,469
Total taxes paid:* $106,749,352
* Includes payroll, federal and state income, personal property, real estate and premium taxes and ACA Health Insurance Provider Tax for BCBSKS and its subsidiaries.
Subsidiaries and business units
- Advance Insurance Company of Kansas (AICK) is the company's subsidiary that sells life, disability and employee assistance plans in the BCBSKS service area. (www.advanceinsurance.com)
- The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation was incorporated in 2005 and seeks to fund programs and activities that are, at their core, health-related.
- BlueCross BlueShield Kansas Solutions was incorporated in 2013 to give the company greater flexibility in designing benefit plans to meet the needs of the changing marketplace.
- Administrative Services of Kansas, conducting business as Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (dba) ASK, was formed in 1982, and was charged with developing a network to collect electronic claims. Since its inception, ASK has expanded its services to include electronic remittance notices, electronic acknowledgements, member eligibility and benefit information, claim history and electronic pre-certification and referrals. ASK performs services for hundreds of other insurance carriers and commercial payers through the company's EDI Midwest Clearinghouse. (www.ask-edi.com)
Ratings, accreditations and awards – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
- A.M. Best: A or “excellent” (Rating earned separately by BCBSKS and AICK)
- URAC Accredited – Health Plan (commercial)
- URAC Accredited – Health Plan with Health Insurance Marketplace
- URAC Accredited – Disease Management
- URAC Accredited – Case Management
- HITRUST Certified – Claims, Customer Service, Membership and EDI
- Contact Center World Class CX Certification through the Service Quality Measurement Group (SQM) Contact Center Industry Voice of the Customer Service Excellence Program, 2017
- Contact Center World Class FCR (first call resolution) Certification from (SQM), 2016
- World Class Certified Call Center from SQM, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Highest Customer Satisfaction for the Health Care Industry Award from SQM, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association: BlueCard® Provider Satisfaction Award for Highest System-wide Provider Satisfaction, 2011, 2012; Brand Excellence Award for Provider Satisfaction, 2007-2010; Brand Excellence Award for Member Retention, 2010
- Kansas Chamber, Ad Astra Award, 2017
- Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism, Recognition Award, 2017
- Kansas Public Health Association, Corporate Public Health Award, 2018
- United Way of the Plains (Wichita), Gold Award, 2017; Bronze Award, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- United Way of Greater Topeka, Bronze Award, 2011
- Salina Area United Way, Silver Corporate Leaders, Outstanding Citizenship, Bronze Award, 2011
- American Heart Association, Fit-Friendly Worksite, Platinum Level, 2012, 2014, 2015; Gold Level, 2008-2011, 2013, 2016; Bronze Level, 2017
- American Heart Association, Community Fitness Innovation, 2010, 2012
- Meals on Wheels, Corporate Citizen Award, 2018
- TARC Industries, 2015 Customer of the Year
- Community Blood Center, Large Business Award, 2017; Top Business Award, 2014, 2016
- Junior Achievement of Kansas, Certificate of Recognition for Volunteerism, 2016
Awards – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation
- Outstanding Foundation, Association of Fundraising Professionals – Topeka Chapter on Philanthropy, 2011, 2018
- Girl Scouts of Northeast Kansas and Northwest Missouri, Philanthropy Award, 2017
- Kansas Family Partnership, Prevention Award of Excellence, 2016
- President’s Award, Kansas Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (KAHPERD), 2011