Smile, You're Covered.
With routine dental hygiene visits, you could not only have a healthier smile, but also be saving on dental costs with dental coverage from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (BCBSKS). We have numerous dental plans for individual and employer coverage.
A Healthier You
Although we usually don’t associate dental care with medical care, the health of your mouth, teeth and gums is closely related to your overall health. A healthy mouth and body go hand in hand.
5 reasons you need regular dental checkups to help maintain their overall health.
Gum disease opens up the body to a host of infections, with known links to illnesses including heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, osteoporosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Oral cancer detection
Oral cancer is an extremely serious disease that starts in various ways. Without knowing the signs, oral cancer is often not diagnosed and can quickly become life threatening.
Plaque, tartar and cavities
A regular dental cleaning removes the tartar and prevents it from eroding teeth or creating holes, which is how cavities are created.
Change habits to your teeth & gums
A dental checkup will help fix current damage from bad habits such as chewing ice, biting your nails and grinding your teeth.
Finding the issue with X-rays
X-ray images allow dental professionals to see what is happening beneath the surface of your mouth, so they can diagnose issues that may not be caught by a visual check.
Comprehensive Dental Services
Our dental plans provide comprehensive coverage for most preventive services, as well as primary and major services. In addition, an annual maximum of up to $200 is also available for teeth whitening services through several of our dental plans.
- Oral examinations (two per year)
- Prophylaxis, including cleaning, scaling and polishing (two per year)
- Dental x-rays required to treat or diagnose diseases or abnormalities of the teeth, surrounding tissue and cavity detection (includes two bitewings per year, and one full-mouth during a five-year period)
- (1) Bitewing x-rays are limited to two per benefit period per insured.
- (2) Full-mouth x-rays are limited to once each five years per insured.
- Fluoride application for insureds under age 21 limited to once each year per insured.
- Space maintainers limited to the initial placement for insureds under age 16.
- Sealants limited to one application per lifetime per eligible insured between 5 and 17 years of age inclusive, and limited to permanent molars and bicuspids.
- Surgical consultations.
- Simple extractions
- Fillings (except gold)
- Endodontics (Root Canal Treatment)
- Periodontic treatment of the gums, consisting of examination, management and surgery
- Extraction of impacted teeth
- Repair of dentures
- General anesthesia when the dental treatment is a covered service
- Emergency treatment to temporarily relieve acute dental pain (subject to limitations)
- Non-surgical care of acute oral infection and oral lesions
- Oral/Periodontal Surgery (Other than Periodontal surgery of the gums)
- Dental Implants
Choose your Dental Plan
Research shows that dental health plays a vital role in overall physical health. So when you choose to make dental insurance a part of your health plan, you're providing your family or employees with yet another invaluable benefit.
If you live in Kansas and are not eligible for dental coverage through an employer, select from our two dental plans.
Groups with 9 or fewer employees
Employers based in Kansas with 9 or fewer employees can select from seven dental plans.
Groups with 10-50 employees
Employers based in Kansas with 10–50 employees can select from six dental plans, plus an orthodontic rider.
Groups with 51 or more employees
Employers based in Kansas with 51 or more employees can select from six dental plans, plus an orthodontic rider.