How do I know which providers are contracting?
There are several different ways you can find out if a provider is contracting with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas.

  • You may ask the provider if he or she is contracting with us.
  • You may view the online Provider Directory.
  • You may contact us if you are seeking information about a specific provider.

What is a medical emergency?

A medical emergency is the sudden and, at the time, unexpected onset of a health condition that requires immediate medical attention, where failure to provide medical attention would result in serious impairment to bodily functions or serious dysfunction of a bodily organ or part or would place the person's health in serious jeopardy.

How do I file a claim under the State of Kansas program?

With State of Kansas coverage, as with other BCBSKS programs, there are virtually no routine forms to fill out or claims to file when you use a contracting provider. If a non-contracting provider will not file your claim for you, send an itemized statement (including your identification number, doctor's name, service date, complete description of the services you received with charges for each service and diagnosis) from that provider, along with a State of Kansas claim form within 90 days to:

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
1133 SW Topeka Blvd.
Topeka, KS 66629-0001

You will be reimbursed for covered services.

What should I do with my claims if I go to a provider in another state?

If you receive services in another state, you will need to know if the provider is participating with the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan in that state. If so, the provider will need to submit the claims directly to that state's Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan. If not, you may submit the claims to us for processing. Be sure to indicate on the claim that the provider does not participate with their state's Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan.