General questions about Medicare
Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) helps cover:
- Inpatient care in a hospital
- Inpatient care in a skilled nursing facility (not custodial or long-term care)
- Hospice care
- Home health care
- Inpatient care in a religious nonmedical health care institution
There are some limits on the number of hospital or skilled nursing facility days that Medicare helps pay for in a benefit period.
Medicare Part B helps cover:
- Medically necessary doctor's services
- Outpatient care
- Home health services
- Durable medical equipment
- Some preventive services
In 2018, Part A, the hospital part of Medicare, has a $1,340 deductible. Part B, the medical part of Medicare, has a $183 deductible.
Medicare was designed to help with your medical costs as you age. Medicaid is a program for individuals who have a qualifying low income. Medicaid may pay some or all of your Medicare premiums and may also pay your Medicare deductibles and coinsurance. To find out if you qualify for Medicaid, please call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.