Qualifying organizations must:
1. Hold an IRS 501(c)(3) nonprofit status with a health-related mission or make an application for a health-related program.
2. Reside in the Foundation's 103-county service area, which includes all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte. If the request is approved, the benefiting organization must have the ability to prove the funds were used in the Foundation's 103-county service area.
3. Complete a grant application which includes summary of the organization's mission; description of the specific health-related program for which the funding is requested, to include the counties and population that would be targeted, as well as details on how the funding would be spent; explanation of how the program would improve the health of Kansas; and, the acknowledgement the BCBSKS Foundation would receive if the request were to be funded. The demographics of the populations served will also be requested on the application.
4. Funding pillars that will be considered must fall into at least one of the following categories: Promote health improvement, community health access and/or health education, healthy behaviors, prevention initiatives or direct health services to the uninsured.
Funding will not be considered for:
- Non-health related programming.
- An individual’s medical care or support.
- Religious organizations if funds are used to benefit a specific congregation; however, programs sponsored by religious groups that are nonsectarian in nature may be eligible for support.
- Parent-teacher organizations (i.e. after prom events).
- Sponsorship of sports or athletic teams.
- Capital or renovation campaigns.
- Political campaigns or events, or political-related activity.
- Fundraising events/sponsorships.
How do I request funding for my organization?