Healthy Habits for Life is a major grant-giving program of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation for schools. It is offered to help schools fund healthy initiatives for students in kindergarten through grade 12. The applications will open in September 2022, so please do not make application until the updated application has been posted.
The Healthy Habits for Life program is offering a total of $200,000 in grants to assist schools in promoting healthy lifestyle choices to their K-12 students. School nurses, physical education teachers, principals, health or family and consumer science teachers, or other administrators are encouraged to apply for funding that they may use during 2023.
The Foundation recognizes that schools have a unique opportunity to teach students about healthy habits through curriculum and programs that reach them where they spend so much of their time: school. As a young, captive audience, students can be more easily influenced to develop life-long healthy habits and behaviors. The Foundation hopes that curbing childhood obesity and improving mental health now will translate into healthy adults later, saving health care dollars for all Kansans.
The Foundation is seeking programs that will help Kansas youth:
- Reduce their cardiovascular risk,
- Increase their physical activity,
- Learn healthy eating habits, or
- Reinforce positive mental health
About the Program
A total of $200,000 is being offered in the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation service area, which includes all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte.
The maximum grant amount is $2,000 and grants are limited to one per school. School personnel are encouraged to collaborate on a program for their school. Funds cannot be used for salary or wages of any staff or employee; all funds must directly benefit the needs of the program for students.
The funds will be distributed by Dec. 16, and can be used for programs administered during the 2023 calendar year.
Past grant recipients are eligible to apply again but must adequately explain how an additional grant would allow them to either expand their existing program or create a new one.
Healthy Habits for Life Grant Application
The application process is easy and proposed programs do not need to be elaborate. Simple programs have been shown to have huge impacts.
- Schools must be located in the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation service area, which includes all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte.
- The maximum grant amount is $2,000, and grant applications are limited to one per school. All funds must directly benefit the needs of the program; funds cannot be used for salary or wages of any person.
- Past grant recipients are eligible to apply again but must adequately explain how an additional grant would allow them to either expand their existing program or create a new one.
- Grant applications are limited to the application form. Do not attach additional pages.
- Grant applications must be signed by the school’s principal; applications must be received by Oct. 21, 2022. Please choose one method (mail or email) to submit your application.
For more information or to submit a grant request, contact:
Chief Operating Officer
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation
Mail Stop 529B2
1133 SW Topeka Blvd.
Topeka, KS 66629-0001
Telephone: 1-800-432-0216, ext. 7246 or, in Topeka, 785-291-7246
Email: [email protected]