Members - FAQs - Direct Enrollment Changes


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Direct enrolled members — enrollment changes

When can I add someone, other than a newborn, to my policy?

Individuals may be added to your policy during open enrollment (typically Nov. 1 - Dec. 15 of each year). During other times of the year, someone may be added to your policy only for specific reasons, such as marriage, adoption, or a valid loss of coverage.

 How can I add a newborn to my policy?

If you currently have a policy that covers child(ren), the newborn's coverage is effective on the birth date. However, a change form or a phone call will still need to be made to cover the child.

If your current policy does not cover children, you must send a signed change form. We must receive the notice within 31 days of the baby's birth in order to change your policy to one that does cover children.

To obtain a copy of the change form contact us.

What should I do if I'm getting a divorce?

You must notify us in writing within 31 days, and we must receive your notice within 45 days, of the date the divorce is granted by a court of law. The effective date will be the first of the month following the date the divorce is granted.

How do I go on the automatic payment option?

To go on automatic payment complete an Automatic Payment Authorization form and return it to us with a voided deposit slip. If it is received within five working days left in the month, the automatic payment will become effective the first of the month following receipt. If it is received with fewer than five working days left in the month, then we will need another month's payment before the automatic payment will become effective.

How do I pay without a bill?

If you know the premium amount, you can send a check to:

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
1133 SW Topeka Blvd.
Topeka, KS 66629-0001

Please write your identification number in the lower left hand corner of your check.

ACH - check by phone

Individual members can contact our office to pay by check and will need to provide the following information:
Your name, telephone number, member identification number, member name (if you are calling on behalf of another member), the month the payment(s) is for, amount you are paying, bank name, bank routing number (9 digit number), the account number (starting number should not be greater than 3) and the name on the account.

You will then be provided with a confirmation number and your payment transaction will be received by your financial institution within one to three business days.

What should I do when I retire?

You will be notified three months before your 65th birthday of the options available to you for continued coverage upon turning age 65, whether or not you retire.

At age 65 your options include:
Enrolling in one of our Medicare Supplement Plan 65 or Plan 65-Select Benefit Plans, or
Continuing coverage under your current health care plan. Medicare benefits will not be included in your claims reimbursement.

Is orthodontic coverage available?

Orthodontic coverage is not available to individuals who are direct-enrolled.