Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation Dedicated to Healthy Kansans, Donates More Than $700,000
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (BCBSKS) Foundation donated $705,064 to more than 200 organizations during 2021. The dollars provided funding for a variety of programs focused on improving the health and well-being of Kansans, which is the overarching goal of the BCBSKS Foundation.
"The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation is proud to partner with local organizations that are making a difference in the lives of Kansans," Marlou Wegener, chief operating officer of the BCBSKS Foundation, said. "As a local Kansas company, Blue Cross is committed to walking alongside our neighbors to improve access to healthy options in our state."
Receiving major grants from the BCBSKS Foundation in 2021 were:
- Flint Hills Discovery Center – The organization received $25,000 to support a 2021 winter exhibit titled Run! Jump! Fly!: Adventures in Action.
- Kansas Children’s Service League – Received $20,000 to support the Period of Purple Crying program.
- Kansas Dental Charitable Foundation – This foundation received $30,000 for the 2021 Kansas Mission of Mercy free dental clinic.
- Kansas Children’s Discovery Center – Received $30,000 to support the creation of Discovery Toddler Town.
- American Red Cross – Received $25,000 in conjunction with the BCBSKS Disaster Response Team partnership.
- Girl Scouts of NE Kansas NW Missouri – Received $25,000 to support healthy initiatives programs and badges.
- Bachelor of Science nursing students – A total of $95,000 was given to educational institutions for scholarships for Bachelor of Science in nursing students, as well as students seeking health-related degrees and certificates.
- Community health centers – $90,000 was donated to community health centers that provide services for the uninsured and underinsured to assist with health services for their patients.
- Healthy Habits for Life – A total of 109 public and private schools (K-12) shared $105,000 for funding of healthy initiatives for students.
- United Way – Accompanying the annual BCBSKS employee-giving campaign, $70,000 was donated to United Way organizations in Topeka, Salina, Wichita and Hutchinson.
“Girl Scouts is all about giving girls opportunities to explore and develop skills around healthy living through badge earning and other special programming focused on getting outdoors, learning to make meals and snacks and taking on an exercise commitment,” Joy Wheeler, Chief Executive Officer of Girl Scouts of NE Kansas & NW Missouri said. “Thanks to the generous investment from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation, Girl Scouts will grow their confidence, discover the impact of good health and wellbeing and develop critical skills that will benefit them now and into the future.”
The BCBSKS Foundation was incorporated in 2005 to promote the good health of Kansans who live in its 103-county service area (all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte). Through its giving, the BCBSKS Foundation focuses on key health issues that impact the lives of many Kansans. The dollars were given to organizations to support a variety of programs and initiatives that promote health improvement, community health access and/or health education, healthy behaviors, prevention initiatives or direct health services to the uninsured.
About the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation promotes the good health of Kansans who live in the Foundation’s 103-county service area. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas, the largest health insurer in the state, incorporated the Foundation in 2005 as a way to further deepen its commitment to helping all Kansans lead healthier lives, an effort which both entities believe is an essential factor in keeping health care affordable. Through its giving, the Foundation focuses on key health issues that can impact the lives of many Kansans. It funds programs and activities that are, at their core, health-related and in particular, promote health improvement, community health access and/or education, healthy behaviors, prevention initiatives and direct health services to the uninsured. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Both entities serve all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte. For more information on the Foundation, visit bcbsks.com/foundation.