Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation dedicated to healthy Kansans, donates more than $650,000
TOPEKA, Kansas (Jan. 31, 2023) – The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (BCBSKS) Foundation donated $658,577 to 178 organizations during 2022. The dollars provided funding for a variety of programs focused on improving the health and well-being of Kansans, which is the overarching goal of the BCBSKS Foundation.
"The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation is proud to provide funding to organizations that are making a difference in the lives of Kansans," said Marlou Wegener, chief operating officer of the BCBSKS Foundation. "Last year’s funding went toward keeping families active, providing care to the uninsured, educating the next round of healthcare leaders and even saving lives.”
Receiving major grants from the BCBSKS Foundation in 2022 were:
- Kansas Fairgrounds Foundation – AED devices for the Kansas State Fairgrounds were purchased through a $19,500 grant. This is the first time that the fairgrounds have had AEDs permanently on site – a life was even saved at the 2022 Kansas State Fair using the new AEDs.
- Flint Hills Discovery Center – The organization received $55,000 to support a 2022 winter exhibit titled Big League Fun.
- Kansas Dental Charitable Foundation – This foundation received $30,000 for the 2022 Kansas Mission of Mercy free dental clinic.
- American Red Cross – Received $25,000 in conjunction with the BCBSKS Disaster Response Team partnership.
- Girl Scouts of NE Kansas NW Missouri – Received $30,000 to support healthy initiatives programs and badges.
- Humanities Kansas – The organization received $35,000 for an upcoming traveling exhibit.
- Bachelor of Science nursing students – A total of $71,000 was given to educational institutions for scholarships for Bachelor of Science in nursing students, as well as students seeking health-related degrees and certificates.
- Community health centers – $64,000 was donated to community health centers that provide services for the uninsured and underinsured to assist with health services for their patients.
- Healthy Habits for Life – A total of 109 public and private schools (K-12) shared nearly $200,000 for funding of healthy initiatives for students.
- United Way – Accompanying the annual BCBSKS employee-giving campaign, $70,000 was donated to United Way organizations in Topeka, Salina, Wichita and Hutchinson.
For the Flint Hills Discovery Center, Foundation support brought young children and families an opportunity to create memories while learning about baseball.
“We were thrilled to receive such generous funding from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation. The sponsorship dollars supported the Big League Fun interactive baseball exhibit as well as additional events and activities that brought sports, fitness, and fun to over 22,000 guests here at the Flint Hills Discovery Center,” said. Susan Adams, Flint Hills Discovery Center director. “This was the highest attendance of any traveling exhibit in over four years with guests from 83 of the 103 counties that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas serves.”
The BCBSKS Foundation was incorporated in 2005 to promote the good health of Kansans who live in its 103-county service area (all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte). Through its giving, the BCBSKS Foundation focuses on key health issues that impact the lives of many Kansans. The dollars were given to organizations to support a variety of programs and initiatives that promote health improvement, community health access and/or health education, healthy behaviors, prevention initiatives or direct health services to the uninsured.
About the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation promotes the good health of Kansans who live in the Foundation’s 103-county service area. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas, the largest health insurer in the state, incorporated the Foundation in 2005 as a way to further deepen its commitment to helping all Kansans lead healthier lives, an effort which both entities believe is an essential factor in keeping health care affordable. Through its giving, the Foundation focuses on key health issues that can impact the lives of many Kansans. It funds programs and activities that are, at their core, health-related and in particular, promote health improvement, community health access and/or education, healthy behaviors, prevention initiatives and direct health services to the uninsured. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Foundation and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Both entities serve all Kansas counties except Johnson and Wyandotte. For more information on the Foundation, visit bcbsks.com/foundation.